Friday, June 19, 2009

Nursing skills lab

Today I had to take a nursing skills lab refresher course. This is part of the requirement for admission to the RN program for the fall. I could either study and take a test and perform skills for the class, or I could take the class over 2 days. I chose the latter. The class was $75, which I paid when I enrolled. They also said that there was a kit I would need to get for the class, which I could get from the bookstore and it was also $75. I figured I would just wait until the day of my class to buy the kit, as I would have time before the class was to start. I called the bookstore yesterday to make sure they had the kits in stock, and they said they did, however the price of the kit was $200 with tax, WHAT??? I almost flipped out, well...I did! I went to the bookstore this morning to get the kit, and paid for the crazy thing. I figured there would be gold in there....I was wrong. Just all the equipment we will need for our entire nursing program. Instead of making individual kits, they decided to make 1 kit for everyone and hike the price up to $200. What could I do? OH well. I get to the building that the class is in and I see a sign on the door that said that my homework packet needed to be completed, so I asked the instructor, "What packet?" She asked if I got one when I paid for the class, I told her that I registered and paid over the phone, she then asked if they mailed me one, and I told her nope. Thank god I wasn't the only one who didn't get a packet, she graciously made some copies and gave them to students who needed them. The first hour we went over some refresher information, then we were off to the skills lab in which we had to perform nasal suctioning, inserting a catheter, inserting and NG tube and doing wound care. This went pretty well and it was very laid back. Everyone passed. Tomorrow should be a short day, maybe done in a few hours! Sweet!

After today, I am starting to get really excited for nursing school. I can't wait! I am excited to continue my education and am also thinking about getting my bachelors degree. Life is good. There are some stressors about this situation, such as I will be working full time, doing evening classes 2 nights a week and then either clinicals on the weekend or 2 other nights during the week. I think the next year will be very hectic for me, however, it will all be worth it come May.

No comments:

Post a Comment