Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Eve Festivities

Originally, Jeremy and I didn't have any plans for new years. He called me at work and asked me if I wanted to go to dinner at Chili's (we got lots of gift cards to Chili's and so did our friends Tim and Julie) and then to a flaming lips concert. I told Jeremy that I didn't know who they were, he told me that when I heard their music - I would know who they were. So I told him OK, let's go - we didn't have any other plans.
Jeremy and I head to Tim and Julies house and we all drove to Chili's for dinner. We were kinda rushed because the concert was supposed to start at 8, but we didn't mind missing the opening act.














After dinner, we head to the Cox Center for the concert. I was really confused as first because I saw people dressed up in costumes, like halloween costumes. I didn't think anything of it because it was only a few people - until we got into the concert area. WOW! It was like Halloween all over again. We saw people dressed up as robots, the wizard of oz crew, people dressed up in funky clothes with different colored wigs. Anyways, Flaming Lips started playing their first song - didn't recognize it, nor their second, third or fourth! Wow, this was really interesting now. So I googled them on my phone and found out that they were found in 1983 and were from Norman, well, no wonder I've never heard of them. Just when I thought things couldn't get more interesting - they did. There was this guy that had come down from the top and he was walking toward the bottom of the stairs and he was yelling someone's name. Well this guy in front of me stands up and starts yelling at him to shut up! So they exchange words back and forth and a fight almost breaks out. That was pretty interesting.
About 11:30 - the lead singer of the band says that we will ring in our own new year....so they start a countdown from 1 mintue and after the minute is over - all these balloons come down from the area behind the stage. It was probably the coolest part of the concert!



Since we still about about 15 minutes before midnight, we decided to walk to the area where they would be raising the ball. I was extremely excited about it because I've always thought this would be cool to do. We found an area in the crowd - kinda near the ball (which happened to be in front of 2 police cars) and we had a great view of watching the ball "drop" There was live music and at 1 minute till midnight - they started a countdown. At the same time, the police put on their sirens (which I still don't understand why they did this)
Right at the stroke of midnight, a HUGE display of fireworks started. This was an extra bonus because I didn't realize there would be fireworks!
By this time, we were all pretty cold. And the wind was blowing, so that made it even colder. Jeremy, Tim, Julie and I all went back to their house and played Mario Kart for the WII. I realized that I am still not good at driving games. :-( All in all Jeremy and I had a great night and a fun new years. I got to experience halloween and 4th of July all on New Year's Eve!

I hope each and every one of you have a safe, happy and healthy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment