Monday, August 31, 2009

Therapeutic Communication

This has been our topic of conversation for the last week at school, and we are utilizing it in our clinical sessions right now. Today and tomorrow I will be at a Rehab center. We started the day in group therapy and then we had lecture after that. I felt really comfortable in my group and I really enjoyed hearing everyone's stories and it seemed as if everyone wanted to be there and get help.
Part of therapeutic communication is listening.
I ask you, Do YOU really listen? Are you really paying attention to the person you are talking to? If you are thinking of what you want to say, while the other person is still talking, then YOU are not REALLY listening. I find it fascinating that most people don't listen well. I am included in that population. I feel my communication has improved over the last few years, however, it still can improve.
I challenge everyone to try "listening". Look the other person in the eye when you are talking to them, give them your undivided attention, paraphrase what they just told you and then respond accordingly.
I think we would all be surprised how our communication would improve, if we just take the time to listen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment