Wednesday, November 18, 2009

PICU

Last night I started my pediatric clinical rotation. I was assignedd to the PICU, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. My experience was amazing and I give credit to any nurse that does that job. I had the opportunity to see my patient's chest get closed up. He had surgery the previous day to repair a heart problem and they left his heart open, and last night they closed it up. I was very fortunate to be there for the surgery, and the most amazing thing was I got to see his little heart beating. The team work and coordination that goes into caring for these little babies it AMAZING! I don't think I could do that job. I have a co worker that used to work in the NICU at the hospital I was at last night and she said that the inital training for the job is 12 weeks long, and then for 3-6 months, you are assigned to low acuity patients. All I can say is that I am impressed with what those nurses do!

No comments:

Post a Comment